07 March 2008

Midterm Review

I don't know if any of you are having trouble with the vocabulary, but I thought I should share the following links that have been very helpful to me:

https://www1.columbia.edu/sec/itc/music/sonic/index.html

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/

Also, is anyone interested in forming a study group?

~ Maria Class ~

2 comments:

serita said...

I also have been using wikipedia...very helpful. I am still having problems with the following terms if anyone wants to help.
Humanism and Scholasticism in relation to music, Ratios, Council of Trent and music, First/Second Practice, Patronage, and what we exactly need to know about Notation. I have found most of the other terms if anyone needs help. thanks.

Todd Tarantino said...

Humanism and Scholasticism and different philosophical schools that are reflected in the music of their respective times.
Council of Trent was part of the Counterreformation and sought to reform music along with other church issues.
First/Second practice refer to the Monteverdi/Artusi controversy.
Patronage is someone paying you to be you. Thus, if any of you receive scholarships, Columbia University is your patron.
Notation is a system of fixing music on the page so that it can be recreated at a later point.