What I like most about this song cycle, is the way the lieds ends.
#16 'Old Angry Songs' betrays deep sadness and resignation in its lingering end, after all the sarcasm and fury of the verses. The three attempts to reach a (major) cadence starting in the fourth minute are really very sad and sweet.
I also really like #13, "Nightly I see you in my dreaming", it tapers off rather suddenly and into spotty moments of silence and little minor triads. I thought there was a problem with the recording at first, haha, but in any case, if he was trying to convey that bitter post-dream feeling, but also the self-reassurance that the dream is over, I think he did it really effectively.
Maybe this song-cycle is the inverse of Monteverdi - rather than trite word-painting, Schumann's Dichterliebe expresses in music what is sufficiently alluded to in the text, but still left unsaid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment