In the pieces for today - the madrigals of Monteverdi. We are seeing in action the newfound appreciation for both proper setting of the text and the idea of music setting out to elicit emotional response.
A question that I'd like to look at in class is the following:
Why should music have expression as one of its goals?
17 February 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Monteverdi's madrigals differed from previous music in that words, text, and emotions were dominant ("his intention to make words the mistress of harmony and not the servant"). One might suppose that the reason for this was that, given that his guiding texts were often derived from love poems, Monteverdi wrote melodies meant to elicit the same emotions as those of the poems/stories from which the text was derived.
Additionally, knowing that his music was meant to accompany theatrical performances as operas, the music heighten the viewers' experience. Additionally, music should have expression as one of its goals simply because, from a self-interested standpoint, it will make the music more popular and enjoyable for the listener.
I agree with Stephan's points:
-Madrigals evoke emotion to match the love poem & "theatricize."
But I think it's important for music to have expression so that listeners can relate and in times of emotional distress/joy, use music as "therapy."
The most significant aspect I would say is that we are now seeing the music being guided by the text. Thus, rather than finding the appropriate set of words that would be fitting for the music already composed, Monteverdi has composed the music so that it is fitting to the textual expression of the poems it is adapting. The two expressions, that of the words and the one of he music, thus play complimentary role in the song.
As I listened to "Metre Vaga Angioletta," I realized that for the first time in the Music Hum musical selection that I was tapping my foot to the beat.
Of course, the whole piece doesn't lend itself towards such a noticeable beat, but this was certainly a revelation to me. As a percussionist, finding and keeping the beat has always been my area of expertise. I know it will sound juvenile, but finding a constant beat makes me happy. Even if it's just for a short section of the music, I can feel the music. I am connected to the music--the music has expressed some sort of emotion seemingly connected to my foot's tapping. So why is it important to have expression in music? I feel that moving out of the rigid divine subject matter gives music and lyrics a means to connect with the listener on another level. No longer does the listener have to feel a proxy connection to G-d, but rather the listener can hear music expressing another idea and judge for themselves how to comprehend it. Or at least tap their foot.
Steven: Why would expression make the music more popular and enjoyable?
Amanda: Why should people use music as therapy? I think you're applying a modern notion of the self.
You are getting the constructivist aspect, but the question is not: "why does it" or "how does it" but rather "why should it"
Post a Comment